Tags

, ,

Hello dear readers, it’s been a long time since I’ve posted. A death in the family, a severe attack of shingles, and then a total knee replacement had all sucked my writing mojo, but now that I’m recovering, I want to share some projects from my back files with you.

Last November I was invited to a wedding, and was honoured when the bride asked me to do the wedding cake for her. She gave me free range with the design, but expressed an interest in paper flowers, and showed me a snippet of the dress fabric, which had gold thread and beading on it.

I had never made crepe paper flowers before, but was keen to give it a go. As the wedding was to be outdoors at Huka Lodge, which has a glorious bush setting, I wanted a design that was elegant, but a little informal. At the time of the wedding, I had clematis montana climbing all over my back deck. Its pretty white flowers and gently twining tendrils inspired me to try and recreate them in crepe paper.

The stamens were made by cutting a strip of yellow paper (approx. 10cm long and 2cm wide) and fringe cutting along the length of the strip. Then I twisted each little fringe strip; it really helped to lick my finger before each twist. Then I rolled the the whole strip, and attached it to a piece of floral wire with green florist tape. I made a petal template by gently remove some petals from an actual flower, traced around these, and used that as a guide to cutting petal shapes from white crepe paper. The paper is easy to mould into a cupped shape by gently stroking it with your fingers. I used a dab of white glue (PVA) to hold the petals in place, then used more floral tape to secure them in place, and continued the tape down the wire to create a calyx and stem. I used the same template method to make the leaves, and by concertinaing the paper, I could cut a lot in one go. These flowers require a lot of patience, but areĀ not difficult.

The little gold and pearl button decorations were made well ahead of time by piping royal icing onto non-stick paper, allowing them to dry, then storing them in an airtight container until needed. Using a Wilton no.2 piping nozzle, I piped a central dot, then five more dots around the centre. A gold dragee was popped on the centre dot, then sugar pearls around that. Do let me know if this inspires you to have a try at paper flowers or a cake project.

Cheers, Karen

About these ads